What is your home decor style?
Have you struggled to find your style as much I have?
Its taken me a long time but I think I finally figured it out.
I am not an expert on interior design but as a formally trained artist and graphic designer I do know most rules about design, composition, and scale etc.
Being of both Asian and European decent and being from Hawaii has caused me to really struggle with finding a home decor style that really inspired me.
Over the years I tried many different styles but always seemed to end of with an ecclectic mess rather than a cohesive style and here’s why:
- I love traditional 4 poster beds (even better if they include pineapples) with crisp white bedding but I love bright tropical colors too
- I like Asian simplicity but I still like to have some “stuff”
- I love blue and white pottery but I love the shiny aged look of mercury glass
- I love classic British and French hardwood furniture but I also love the lighter feel of the American farm style too
- I love tropical plants and botanical and natural accessories but I like clean crisp typography in prints.
Finding my style has always been a big struggle for me and there are many more details I can think of but I think I would have to say the style that best reflects me is British Colonial with a twist.
I have a son in a power wheelchair so I have to leave lots of open room for him to turn his chair so that also adds to the challenge.
Don’t be afraid to try mixing several different styles and whatever elements you like after all it is your house and you have to live there-make it reflect you and the people who live there.
Luckily for me I have several friends and neighbors who are great interior designers who I can ask for advice.